Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #27
Bill Johnson

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
DISCLAIMER: I have little knowledge of Voltage Boosters; but I hear they can only restore a limited amount of voltage and for some limited period of time?

I did research the Hughes before buying the 34951 unit and was told the following about the $33 replacement board:
There was mention of the MOV blowing and being able to replace it which sounds good but may not be as all.

The MOV semiconductor is what is found on cheap surge suppressors and when it blows with a surge then it stops providing any protection and can actually shift voltage to the ground connection and fry whatever is attached.
Another factor why I did not go with the Hughes Watchdog was the bright white light of the dog that is always on when things are normal. It turns Red if any issues, but that light would be annoying to me after a while. Also Southwire does not use Error codes, their screens and displays are large enough to tell you exactly what is wrong in plain English.

Final point in my case.... if my Surge Guard 34951 shuts off power (i.e. due to low voltage condition). My AGS => Onan EC-30 will automatically kick in and start the generator. So my coach will stay cool. When CLEAN power is restored at Pedestal, My AGS wil sense power on the shore power cord line and turn the Generator off.
Have you ever had the generator start by itself in a campground that doesn't allow them or a state or national park?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum