Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #15
Bill in Redlands

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
in reading about the LBIM, i wonder if it does what the dc-dc does, i dont need the dc-dc with the LBIM?
That was my take on things. The idea is to protect the alternator from burning up by limiting the demand on it. Both systems accomplish this. I went with the LBIM. Properly wired it is off line unless the ignition is on. It limits the draw on the alternator by cycling on and off as you mentioned. It also can provide the emergency jump from the coach battery if the chassis battery is too weak to start the engine.

There is probably not a real issue unless there is a high draw of current from the coach batteries. In my discussions with Battleborn, I understood that to be most likely with three or more coach batteries but being cautious, I opted for the LBIM with my two batteries.

So far, with the 400 watts of solar, I haven't put much of a test to the batteries and that included some camping in the redwoods with very little direct sunlight. Consequently, I haven't put much of a load on the alternator.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum