Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #37
Kenneth Neal

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
State: California
THOR #556
@16ACE27 Thank you for the link to boatingmag.com. I have Googled many articles on this subject and they're mostly anecdotal and promotional in nature. The boatingmag.com article helps to explain Sta-Bil's role in preventing phase separation. The article notes that it does not deal with oxidation. It would be nice to get some objective scientific data on that subject. I have a degree in chemistry and I'm curios about how it prevents oxidation at the molecular level. It seems to me the most important thing one can do is to make sure the gas tank is full when put into storage, thereby minimizing contact with water vapor in the atmosphere. It's too bad gas tanks don't have drain cocks in the low point like they do on airplanes so one can check for contamination. Of course they would have to be designed to be safe and theft resistant.

@Beau388 Thank you for your input. Very interesting. One of the articles I referenced on Google said State-Bil is a glycol that forms a thin barrier on the surface of the gasoline, thereby preventing contact with water vapor in the air. That doesn't explain Sta-Bil's claim that it's an antioxidant.

I hope other posts will provide more facts and insights regarding this issue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum