Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjenks52 View Post
I have a box behind the shoreline hatch that my 20 ft cord plugs into when not used to maintain electrical circuitry. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. The constant plugging/unplugging is wearing out the plug and is a pain during inclement weather. Would like to modernize this circuit by putting a plug on the outside wall. What happens if I eliminate this box? I don't have any isolation switches either.

In a standard Majestic from Cruise America, as best as I can recall, you don’t need to plug the shore power cable to that “box” unless needing to use the generator for electrical power while not on shore power. When renting from CA, I usually plug it in so I can use generator during day while traveling between campgrounds. Once there, I unplug from box and connect to campground pedestal. I don’t see this as a big deal that takes more than an extra second or two, so I’m not following the “inclement weather” reference. My first motorhome was like that also.

The only scenario that comes to mind is if plugged to shore power and there is an electrical outage and you had to run the generator. That would require going out and unplugging from CG pedestal and plugging into generator. I’ve never had that happen, so don’t see it as a huge problem worth fixing unless you have critical electrical needs (and I don’t).

You mentioned an inverter which wasn’t standard on Majestic motorhomes. Any chance inverter was installed in place of generator? Can you confirm you still have and use the generator? It would help clear things up a bit.

Assuming what you have is all original, doing what you want would be far more expensive than replacing the older parts, which should last for many years even if you plug and unplug twice as often.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum