Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:19 AM   #100
Bill Johnson

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
This is from 2015 Dancing on our panels. Some haters out there have said they’d never dance on their panels…well, we were told by GoPower! to dance away and these flex panels can handle it. Granted we still wouldn’t recommend this for safety issues or the fact you may have a rock stuck in your shoe that can damage the panels, but nonetheless we installed, we tested and we danced!

OUR TAKEAWAY AFTER 1 YEAR
Even with our solar panels as dirty and beat up as they were during filming we were still able to bring in 26amps in the afternoon winter sun of central Florida. So the GIANT, burning question is: With cupping and minor surface scratches is there really any noticeable degradation of solar power coming into the batteries? Unfortunately, I think the answer will only come after a few more years of testing.

Flexible panels are great if you need them! There are loads of factors that might make flexible solar panels the best choice for your RV or motorhome but these are the few BIG advantages that come to my mind: If you are concerned about weight or aerodynamic issues, if you have a rounded roof like a vintage bus or airstream, or you just want to have the latest solar technology installed on your rig.

For installations like ours, with a huge amount of flat, unobstructed roof space and plenty of weight before we get near the GCVWR, I’d recommend people to stick with the tempered glass solar panels. Tempered glass panels are proven technology with a longer warranty and they’re about 25% less expensive. In fact we are picking up our next RV this month and we’re planning to install a huge array of Tempered Glass solar panels instead of the flex panels (join our email list and stay tuned for that article).

Remember, these are just my opinions from our experience and I am no expert. What do you think? Are flexible solar panels better for your RV? Share your thoughts in the comments below and let’s help the solar manufacturers understand our wants and needs for future products! Gone with the Wynn's website

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.