Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #83
Bill in Redlands

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Landed in winter base camp and getting ready to install some lithium batteries and my question is directed at installing the lithium BIM as the first part of the project. If I don't get the BIM right, the lithium batteries sitting in the shed are a waste of money or a train wreck waiting to happen.

Thor Chateau 31L:
1) Do I already have a battery isolation manager for the house batteries in the current setup?
2) If so, can just replace that manager with the lithium one and where would it be located?

The coach has the emergency chassis battery jump switch so it would seem logical there's a isolation manager in the system somewhere. Seems one would be needed so the alternator doesn't overcharge the house batteries and boil them off.

I spotted what looks like one under the hood on the driver's side behind the overflow tank, though that may be the emergency jump switch. What I'm really hoping is I can leverage the existing wires and their runs.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge and/or experience you share. If you need more info, please don't hesitate. I'll find it somehow.
I installed the LBIM in my 2016 Axis and found it to be a pretty easy job. I believe that in your case there must be some sort of isolation switch - if it is a Bird/Trombetta you may find some help in the following thread that I started when I was looking at alternatives. You mention what might be the emergency jump switch - in my experience that is part of the function of the BIRD or the BIM, whichever is present. The switch you press in the cockpit only energizes the connection.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ger-22634.html

The key for me was to separate the wires and verify the connections before installing them on the LBIM. There are really only (1) the wire carrying current from the chassis battery, (2) the wire carrying current from the cabin batteries, (3) a ground, (4) a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on and (5) the wire that triggers a connection when the switch that connects the batteries to effect a jump start is energized.

On my rig, there is a heavy gauge wire connected to the positive post of the chassis battery that, when followed, connects to a 50amp breaker/switch then to the vicinity of the engine compartment fuse box where the BIRD/Tombetta was located and now the LBIM is located. Perhaps you can follow wires to locate yours?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.