Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
Iabracing

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 29.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16711
ACE 29.2 slide leak

I have a 2015 ACE 29.2 with a slide leak when the slide is closed. It took some time to track it down, but I am pretty confident I have found the source. The water is running down the face of the slide wall and behind the bottom trim piece. This wraps under the flooring system and directs the water into the coach. The fix (i hope, and it seems...) for the water entry was easy enough, I removed all of the silicone caulk the previous owner had put on and recaulked the entire trim with Proflex. The trim was missing about half of the screws on the underside of the bottom rail, where the offending gap was located along the face of the slide. I have added those where it appears they were never installed by the manufacturer and replaced a few more screws that were quite rusty. The last problem I am now left with is that the flooring system is made with a 1/8" lauan board covered in a plastic mesh that is bonded to the underside of the steel frame. There is block foam between the steel and OSB board and vinyl flooring above as you look at the floor system from bottom to top. The fiberglass sidewalls of the slide room hang all the way down over the edges of the floor, so the water was forced down and out the bottom (luckily). The only portion of the floor that is affected is the mesh-covered lauan (why is this an exterior surface?!?!) and the screws that fasten the trim rail to the steel flooring channel. The lauan has disintegrated under the trim rail in multiple places AND in the back corner from the moisture (4" x6" area) and I am not sure what to do about fixing this? Should I just leave it since it is not exposed when the slide is exposed, or should I try to cut a straight line the length of the slide face, remove all of the trim screws and insert a piece of waterproof board that is the same thickness? I want to keep the trim pieces tight so that they don't flex and I get 1: the same seam issues on the face of the slide that I previously had and, 2: these trim pieces also hold the track for the exterior bulb seal for the slide, so they need to be pretty rigid. Sorry for the rambling post!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum