Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This could also be true on new ones.

No airbag, no worries.

It is not true on newer ones. They are keyed to the steering column.

I’m actually rather well informed on this. My last coach had a significantly off center wheel after getting it aligned (I bought it used with a straight steering wheel but dreadful front tire wear). My trusted Ford truck dealer said there is no easy way to adjust it. The official Ford approved procedure is to remove the steering box and shim it sideways the needed amount. But you can make a fairly coarse adjustment yourself. If you crawl into the front wheel well you can actually sit up comfortably and see that on the top of the steering box the steering column is fastened to the splined input shaft with a single pinch bolt. It is not otherwise keyed. If you loosen the bolt the inner column slips off - with maybe a bit of persuasion with a screw driver used as a lever. You can then put it back on after moving the requisite number of splines. Mine took two but I overshot the first time and had to go back and fix it. After you’ve done it once it’s a 10 minute job. It’s a little scary to think that the only thing keeping the steering connected is a single 1/4 inch pinch bolt but there it is. I did put some blue loctite on it. I don’t remember how many splines there are anymore but I think maybe each spline was about 10 degrees at the wheel. Be alert because once disconnected the steering wheel moves effortlessly.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum