Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Not finding anything specific on the Forum - so here goes....

We live in SE N. Carolina, and rarely if ever use our rig during the winter. However it's nice to have available as a "lifeboat" during an extended power outage during an ice storm (hurricane usage is another thread....).

In the almost three years we've owned it, we've only turned on the furnace once - an early spring trip this year. Fired right up, warmed right up, and set off the CO detector after about 10 minutes. Turned it off, aired out the rig, tried again. After 10 minutes, CO detector alarming again. Repeated the clearing process - third try same results. Turned it off, and dug out a couple extra blankets. I did check exhaust ports after this incident, and found no obvious clogs or such, and haven't pursued since.

I' would like to resolve this early in the winter "just in case" we need to use it to keep warm in February. But where does one even start in tracking CO intrusion into coach from the furnace? What tools/detectors would I need? Is trying this myself (reasonable newbie to RV'ing, w/no background in HVAC) even feasible?

Rig is 2015 Windsport. Don't know furnace model (getting it back from some other service tomorrow if that's relevant info).

All thoughts, experience and recommendations appreciated.
Unfortunately, the leak is usually in the heat exchanger and not the exhaust. Usually you can remove the external cover and check the exhaust. With the propane off if you select heat the furnace will run but not light when you check for exhaust leaks. Be advised this can cause a hard lockout but recycling 12 volts (remove and reseat the fuse) will reset the lockout.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum