Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #20
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regzzz View Post
Thank you Bill, thanks for the attachment, it really helps.

I have a Thor Chateau 2019 28Z and I am preparing to change the house Wet batteries for 2 x 100 A/H Lithium. I already have 400 watts (4 x 100) of solar panels on the roof with a lithium compatible charger controller.

I already purchased the Lithium compatible converter/charger to replace the one in the WFCO ULTRA III Distribution Center WF-8900. I'll install that when I make the switch.

I was on the fence about replacing the BIRD. I initially wanted to only disable it, (remove the fuse on the feed from the "run" ignition switch). That way it would only work if I used the emergency switch in the dash.. and the charging of the house batteries would only be done on the house side and not from the chassis alt. But I was not sure if it was wired so that the house system would be charging the chassis battery?

My question was: does the BIRD allow the house system to charge the chassis battery? looks like it does not. But If I replace it with a Li-BIM it will.

I have decided to order the Li-BIM. Today I went to look at the BIRD (located in the engine compartment, right side wall, under the coolant overflow bottle) and it looks like it's going to be an easy job. the only difference is the wire colors that does not match your info... but I am confident I will be able to trace the correct wires. One thing to note, and I quote the OEM " The Li-BIM does not guarantee 100% battery charge, but prevents harmful battery charge levels"

I think I'm on the right track, and reading through the forums really helps, so a big thanks...

Cheers

Reg
BINGO. Thanks. I located a Trombetta in that same place and tried wiring it like this: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=91

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum