Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #37
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
followup

This is a follow up to my original post.

This project turned out to be a whole lot more trouble than I expected when I first got the idea.

Because Thor used a 2-wire thermostat cable, I had to run a 7-wire cable inside the bedroom wall, under the bed pedestal, under the shower, under the bathroom sink, behind the toilet, and through a bulkhead to get to the compartment where I could connect it to the propane heater. Wow! I am now able to set a temperature on the digital thermostat and and expect the furnace to cycle on and off to accurately maintain that temperature. Right now it is set to 40F in my driveway, just to prevent freezing. If our Virginia winter is reasonably mild, I may be able to get away without loading any pink stuff into the water lines.

To get the AC unit connected, I had to pull a thermostat cable under the fridge, inside a wall, through the bottom of a cabinet, into the ceiling, and over to the unit. Argh! But, now I can control the AC temperature without getting out of bed and I know that the temp will stay where I set it. Now the room temp is measured where we sleep, not inside the ceiling.

Would I start this project again, knowing what I know now? Yes.

Bonus: Because both heating and cooling are controlled by the same thermostat, there is zero chance that both will accidentally run at the same time.

Bonus2: My new digital thermostat has BlueTooth. At the moment, I can't see a reason to use that, but maybe someday. It would be nice to somehow monitor the RV inside temp using my cell phone when the dogs are home alone.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum