Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #14
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Vegas 25 three. I'm wondering if anyone has tried increasing the fuel economy by changing out the rear tires. Does anyone know if a larger circumference tire will affect the fuel economy? I'm trying to get the RPMs at 70 miles an hour on or below 2000. Every vehicle I own except for this Vegas will run on or below 2000 RPMs at 70 mph. Has anyone else out there tried to reduce the RPMs of the vehicle through this means or any other?
Tires are a miniscule part due to the restrictions of size we have.
Differential gearing is what you're after for a greater ratio change.
A final drive ratio is what changes rpm.

Unless you live in Kansas or some flat spot,
Different ratio will eat up your savings on the big hills.
A downshift you didn't have before.

And
Use the wrong final ratio and you'll have the dreaded 'hunt and peck' transmission trying to find a spot it likes.
Below 2,000 rpm might not be a mpg good thing.

Everyone thinks of doing the ratio change with tires or gears but it's an expensive science.
I changed to taller tires on my expeditionary vehicle, then had to change gear ratios so the rpms would stay below 3,000 when on any slope. There was no gear induced torque to keep the tires turning, so I had downshifts.
27" to 31" tires required 3.73 to 4.10 gears to make up for the extra rolling length/lack of torque in the 31's.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum