Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #24
Bill Johnson

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The noise tests were done by TheFitRV and you can see them here: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/qui...0i-we-test-it/

They had two motorhomes, one with the 2800i and the other with the 4000 generator. They started each and at no load measured the nose using an iPhone app at 20' and 50' from the motorhomes. Then they started the A/Cs (same model on both) and did the same measurements. I suspect the A/C noise affected the results as much as the additional load on the generators.

The Onan QG 2800i was 8-9 dB under the 4000 model. Here is the data:

Standard RV Generator Onan QG 2800i
20 feet (no load) 67 dB 58 dB
20 feet (AC load) 68 dB 59 dB
50 feet (no load) 61 dB 52 dB
50 feet (AC load) 61 dB 53 dB

Insofar as fuel consumption, that comes straight from the Cummins data sheets and I seriously doubt that they are distorting it. I have used their engine data on their diesel marine engines and it was always right.

The cost of fuel isn't my biggest interest, but it is worth something. More important is the ability to dry camp in one spot while running the generator several hours per day to charge up a lithium battery bank and not run below 1/4 full where it will shut off.

And the EFI is also a big plus. Ethanol gasoline doesn't affect modern cars because they have EFI (electronic fuel injection) which totally contains the fuel and doesn't allow any air or moisture inside. So you don't have to add stabilizer or anything else for winter storage.

I believe that the Onan inverter generators will soon take over the RV market from their standard ones.

David
I looked up my 5.5HGJAB and it says 66db at 10 feet at half load. I love the idea of pure sinewave and fuel injection. but the sound isn't that much different

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.