Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 01:53 AM   #10
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL That manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Yup I would put the inverter in between the RV's transfer switch and the breaker panel (output of RV's transfer switch goes to input of inverter and output of inverter goes to breaker panel).

No need to take this offline--this is exactly what these forums are for: To use the collective knowledge of the members.
Thank you. I mean that. I'm a bit confused. No surprise there. Please take home: this is not a contest and a need to draw upon the experience of others to the same or better result.

Assumptions:
1) you're staying with the 30A receptacle in the electric bay, somewhat implemented as previously stated with the following mods.
2) The OEM charger is completely out of the picture
3) when hooked to shore power, the OEM xfr switch output to the inverter's input negates the inverter xfr switch and the inverter's charger charges if needed.
4) when running on inverter power, the 30A receptacle trips the OEM xfr switch, tricking it into shore power, and negating the inverter xfr switch.

This is where I'm confused. Once the inverter senses it's hooked to 120, regardless of source, it's going to trip the inverter's charger. If that charging source is the batts, we're back in the loop unless the circuit breaker approach works.

What negates the inverter charger? Do I totally and wholly disable it at the via its circuit breaker?

If I don't negate the inverter's internal charger, it seems it will draw upon itself to charge the batteries - creating the loop.

I need some way of eliminating the inverter's interference or communicating I'm hooked to 'real' shore power, use that source instead of the batteries.

The box is solid state and this created a narrow way to deal with the setup.

Thanks again for your interest and feedback.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum