Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Thank you. I mean that. I'm a bit confused. No surprise there. Please take home: this is not a contest and a need to draw upon the experience of others to the same or better result.

Assumptions:
1) you're staying with the 30A receptacle in the electric bay, somewhat implemented as previously stated with the following mods.
2) The OEM charger is completely out of the picture
3) when hooked to shore power, the OEM xfr switch output to the inverter's input negates the inverter xfr switch and the inverter's charger charges if needed.
4) when running on inverter power, the 30A receptacle trips the OEM xfr switch, tricking it into shore power, and negating the inverter xfr switch.

This is where I'm confused. Once the inverter senses it's hooked to 120, regardless of source, it's going to trip the inverter's charger. If that charging source is the batts, we're back in the loop unless the circuit breaker approach works.

What negates the inverter charger? Do I totally and wholly disable it at the via its circuit breaker?

If I don't negate the inverter's internal charger, it seems it will draw upon itself to charge the batteries - creating the loop.

I need some way of eliminating the inverter's interference or communicating I'm hooked to 'real' shore power, use that source instead of the batteries.

The box is solid state and this created a narrow way to deal with the setup.

Thanks again for your interest and feedback.
What you'll have is two transfer switches in a row, they don't negate each other.

When connected to shore power you have 120VAC going to the coaches xfer switch which will select that and route that to its output.

That output is going to the inverter's input. The inverter will sense that there is 120VAC on its input and its transfer switch will route that directly to the inverter's output lines.

When the generator is running the coaches xfer switch will route that to its output (the input to the inverter). Like on shore power the inverter's xfer switch will sense 120VAC on its input lines and route that directly to its output lines.

When neither generator nor shore power is connected/running the coaches xfer switch outputs nothing and the xfer switch in the inverter does not detect 120VAC on the inputs and thus turns on the inverter and routes its output to the 120VAC output lines.

The inverter's charger will only charge the battery(ies) when it detects 120VAC on the input lines (and use that to charge the battery(ies) by back feeding 12V on the wires connected to the battery(ies) ).

The coaches charger can be disconnected as it isn't needed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum