Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #31
Kona Tom

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12313
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire@hotmail.com View Post
Chicks

Thanks for your input. After working for Dometic/Atwood doing service and training dealers for 40 years . Control board failure for AC operation is 1 in a 1000. Doing service I have replaced relays and heating elements but rarely control board for no AC operation.

Thanks Al McGuire RVIA certified.

Well, this was the 1/1000 then. I replaced the following: Circuit board, thermal kit including T-Stat, heating element, relay switch, panel control switch and changed the plastic melted nuts. One of those steps (Thermal Kit. - ECO and T-Stat) fixed the gas portion of the heater. However, electric did not work. After trying this forum and going back over the Atwood Master Manual I was still baffled. No electric water heater. I finally, which I should have done initially called the Atwood Help Line. To my surprise after waiting 15 minutes was connected to a service technician. I explained everything I did. She asked a few questions. One was “Do you have current coming out of the yellow wire of the circular board”? My answer was no. She said it’s the circuit board. I responded, “I just replaced that board last week”. She repeated, “I’m pretty sure it’s the circuit board”.

I removed the circuit board and replaced it. I immediately tested that yellow wire and it was hot/positive. I went inside the RV and tested the positive on the heating element and it was positive. I knew it had been fixed. Folks can post whatever, but that’s the facts. I admit up front I had a learning curve about the multimeter and understanding the Atwood Master Manual. But I learned how to use that DC setting and finding a proper ground. I also have a really good feel for that wire schematic.

Looking back, I now believe the gas was only impacted by a bad thermal coupler. When I replaced the circuit board for whatever reason that yellow lead was flawed, thus shutting down the electric current to the relay switch. I give big thumbs up to the Atwood Service Representative. She was patient, knowledgeable and confident.

I love this forum but a basic problem is that responders can be judgmental and assume that the person asking the question knows as much as him or her. For instance, the Atwood Rep says, “Do you have the multimeter grounded.” And then explains how that can be done. Also, “Take that reader and tell me the reading on each wire coming out of that circuit board”. She asked other specific questions and within 15 had it diagnosed.

Thanks again for all the help. I learned a great deal about the Atwood Water Heaters.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum