Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 04:48 AM   #15
erikdjensen

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Not finding anything specific on the Forum - so here goes....

We live in SE N. Carolina, and rarely if ever use our rig during the winter. However it's nice to have available as a "lifeboat" during an extended power outage during an ice storm (hurricane usage is another thread....).

In the almost three years we've owned it, we've only turned on the furnace once - an early spring trip this year. Fired right up, warmed right up, and set off the CO detector after about 10 minutes. Turned it off, aired out the rig, tried again. After 10 minutes, CO detector alarming again. Repeated the clearing process - third try same results. Turned it off, and dug out a couple extra blankets. I did check exhaust ports after this incident, and found no obvious clogs or such, and haven't pursued since.

I' would like to resolve this early in the winter "just in case" we need to use it to keep warm in February. But where does one even start in tracking CO intrusion into coach from the furnace? What tools/detectors would I need? Is trying this myself (reasonable newbie to RV'ing, w/no background in HVAC) even feasible?

Rig is 2015 Windsport. Don't know furnace model (getting it back from some other service tomorrow if that's relevant info).

All thoughts, experience and recommendations appreciated.
We had problems with our furnace a few years ago. We have a 2017 ACE 30.1 and we live on the Oregon North Coast. It seemed whenever there was a hard rain the furnace would work right. I took it a couple of times to Camping World and they said they fixed whatever the cause was - at one point they told me they had put some baffles in the furnace to keep out any water. Anyway, when the factory warranty was up one morning we woke up because the CO alarm was alarming. My wife wanted to get out of the rig right away and drove to our daughter's apartment. I took the rig to another Thor dealer and they told me the furnace was full of soot. Good Sam - our extended warranty wanted the dealer to clean out the furnace and call it good. The dealership said they wouldn't do that due to liability and said the furnace needed to be replaced. Good Sam gave up the fight and we got a new furnace for $500 (our detectable). We haven't had any problems since the furnace was replaced.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.