Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #3
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
No. Electric vehicles use either 120V (Level 1) or 240V (Level 2) chargers. In both cases they convert the A/C to a much higher voltage DC to charge the battery (in the case of my old Focus Electric that was 350V). (Not to mention the Tesla Supercharger, Chademo chargers, or the CCS charger which all pump high current DC into the car--superchargers are up to 120kW.)

You'd be better off letting the car charge itself (all EVs have regenerative brakes where the electric motor is used as a generator to stop the car storing the excess energy back into the battery instead of wasting it as heat like conventional cars do). Many people have thought about simply pulling the EV with it turned "on" forcing the car to charge via regen. Unfortunately this isn't possible with any EV today (and I wouldn't want to leave an energized car behind me).

There are people who have extended the range of their EVs by making a pusher trailer with a gas engine on it (the idea being you crank up the engine and let off the throttle causing the car to regen as the trailer pushes the car along--much like descending a hill).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.