Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #14
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I don't think that Thor's mindset can leave a new acquisition alone, use their engineering and purchasing power to make intelligent cost improvements and enjoy the brand loyalty that they bought.

Here is an example from a former owner:

I purchased a new 2013 Livin' Lite 16TBS, a cult like brand founded by Scott Tuttle on the principle that T/Ts should not have an ounce of wood or any organic material inside them: all aluminum frame, sides, floor and roof with the inside paneling and cabinetry made of Azdel, a synthetic laminate.

In 2014 Thor bought them and within a year of its acquisition, Thor moved the production line to another town where they probably had unused capacity. They lost half of CL's long term craftsmen in the move. Over the next four years they made the following changes:

Rubber roof, laminate floor (actually not a bad move, the all aluminum floor was always cold), changed a couple of models (my 16TBS and others) from tandem to single axles which put a squeeze on OCCC (or whatever T/Ts call it) and dramatically increased the tongue weight, and started using laminate in the sides. At least they kept the aluminum frame, but made a disastrous design/fabrication mistake and had to recall their 21' model to install a third A frame aluminum member since the welds started popping right and left on the two member A frame. The third member was part of the Scott Tuttle design that Thor scrapped to save a few bucks.

The brand loyalty evaporated and they couldn't sell them anymore. They shut it down in 2018. Scott Tuttle was long gone by then and I hope he is enjoying the bucks he got from Thor.

Thor has done similar with other brands they have purchased. Anyone have the inside story to tell on Jayco, or how Airstream mostly remained intact?

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum