Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #495
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
So,
I get a text from a neighbor late yesterday:
'can we go up on lot 20 and look at the saturn conjunction the media is being stupid about?'

Sure. Let me know what you think of the new road.

Well, the new road up 20 isn't new, it's just freshly graded and it's been 30-40 or so years since the last grading. Someone was grading roads here, I asked him to consider considering maybe possibly hitting that steep switch back while he was here.
He did the road without telling me how much money, I expected $1100 because, hell I don't know what grading costs, he said $100, I gave him two hundred and I can't quit smiling about it all.
Lot 20 sits about 600ft (over a 1100ft length, damn steep) above the norm here and is great for seeing the entire valley and the 300° unobstructed view of the south west and east for about 100 miles or so.

I get a text from the same neighbor today:
We really enjoyed last night. 20 is like an island in the sky.
This morning I fixed your gate to lot 20. I hope you don't mind. I leveled under it so it doesn't have to be lifted, planted a post and added a rope catch to hold it open and a loop for the closed post latch. I thought the gate should match the new grading.

Punchline.
It wasn't any sort of favor letting him up there and I'm a little saddened he even thought he should ask.
We have very few, but very good neighbors.
My Christmas wish is for you to meet a nice neighbor you haven't met.

Lot 20 was bought solely to quash development. The grading of that road was as kind of a joke as a great but stupidly steep kind of boondoggle, a tease to those who won't pay for the comfort of nice serviceable driveway, a kind of dare I guess. . No one had been up there with a reason in maybe 30 years.

A speculator had this 7+acre lot, and I got the last laugh.
Bought in 1999 at 108k from the developer who bought it from the railroad 60 years ago.
Listed at 128k off and on
Listed at 65k in 2010
Went to the speculator last year at 35k as part payment on a realty commission,imnsure she thought she got the better of the deal. A 128k property at 35k of gross earned money!
She needed cash shortly after, she called me because I had offered to take pictures for her when I heard through the grapevine of the transfer, and I knew she'd never seen it.
15k later there won't be any eastward bound folks building on it. I didn't bargain or whine. I gave her the amount she asked for.

Right up there on the side of that mountain at the end of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0303201454.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	27783   Click image for larger version

Name:	8332.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	27784  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PANO_20200726_135019.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	27785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151214_100243~01.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	27788  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum