Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Sometimes I don’t like getting talked down to as if I don’t know what I’m talking about ie: 164ace27, ducksface.

As old as I am I do know how to research things! Although some people twist things to make you sound like an idiot! So here is a short article about AWD towing!
Correct me if I’m wrong but it does say it’s not advisable to tow AWD vehicles.

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT TOWING AN AWD VEHICLE?

The promise of extra traction in wet and snowy weather has made all-wheel drive (AWD) a popular option for many car buyers. However, the addition of all-wheel drive can make towing a vehicle so equipped a bit complicated. The following explains why it's important to err on the side of caution when towing an AWD vehicle. You'll also learn a few safe ways to get the job done, whether you're towing your own vehicle or having a towing service do the work for you.

Understanding AWD and 4WD

Before getting down to the nuts and bolts of AWD, it's important to clear up a bit of confusion concerning the term "all-wheel drive." That's because it's commonly used interchangeably with "four-wheel drive" (4WD), which works similarly to AWD in some respects. However, there are a few important differences between AWD and 4WD:

4WD systems are generally optimized for off-road use. Part-time 4WD systems allow the driver to manually engage all four wheels at low speeds. Full-time 4WD systems work similarly to AWD, allowing drivers to keep all four wheels engaged. Most 4WD systems use front and rear differentials, plus a transfer case for engaging the front and/or rear axles.
AWD systems are optimized for on-road use. AWD systems typically use front and rear differentials just like their 4WD counterparts, but with the addition of a viscous or electronic coupling to split power between each set of axles or even individual wheels. Most AWD systems are also permanently engaged to varying extents, making it impossible to disengage without removing a driveshaft.
The Problem With Towing AWD Vehicles

When it comes to towing a vehicle on two wheels, common wisdom dictates that the vehicle being towed shouldn't be towed by its drive wheels. Even if the vehicle is left in neutral, towing a car by its drive wheels can cause significant damage to the transmission. With a front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicle, that means towing the car with its rear wheels on the ground. For a rear-wheel drive (RWD) car, the opposite applies -- the car must be towed with its front wheels on the ground (with the steering locked for safety) or with the driveshaft removed while its rear wheels are on the ground.

For an AWD car, however, that common wisdom flies out of the window. Towing a vehicle equipped with a permanent AWD system on two wheels could result in damage to the coupling, as well as the transmission and various other drive components.

How to Tow an AWD Vehicle without Damage

When dealing with AWD vehicles that need a tow, keeping it off the ground is usually the best strategy. For this, you'll need a flatbed tow truck or a flatbed trailer. Trailering or towing an AWD vehicle on a flatbed is the easiest and often safest choice of moving such a vehicle without causing thousands of dollars in damage to its drivetrain. When flatbed tow trucks or trailers aren't available, many tow truck and crane services resort to tow dollies to transport AWD vehicles while keeping their wheels above ground.

Keep in mind these aren't the tow dollies normally offered by moving truck rental companies. These tow dollies consist of an inline pair of small wheels attached to a metal frame. The frame is placed against the vehicle's wheel and the two pairs of wheels are linked together with a set of aluminum axles. Using a long bar and plenty of leverage, the axles are lifted into position, which in turn cradles the wheels between the axles and lifts them off the ground.

Both methods are preferred for towing AWD vehicles, since it minimizes the likelihood of damage to the vehicle's drivetrain components.

OK, so you make a blanket statement about flat towing AWD vehicles: " I don’t believe you can flat tow AWD vehicles!". You can have your own beliefs but your statement was blatantly incorrect. If you had tempered it with "I don't believe a lot of AWD vehicles can be flat towed", it would have been fine, except we know exactly which vehicle this thread is about and it has already been verified it can be flat towed.

Then you try to justify your statement about AWD vehicles by using the "automatic transmission" excuse, which applies to a lot of vehicles, but also does not apply to many automatic transmission vehicles which are perfectly capable of being flat towed: as I said, most vehicles (other than Jeeps) being flat-towed today are automatic transmission vehicles.

Then Ducksface suggested you provide a link to backup your beliefs and you come up with a quote from an 4&1/2 year old tow truck blog about towing AWD vehicles with wreckers, not flat-towing them behind an motorhome.

So if you don't want to be corrected, don't promulgate incorrect information. Not trying to start a "Flame War" here, just looking out for people reading this thread and being mislead.

Many AWD vehicles can be flat towed behind a motorhome and most cannot be dolly towed.

To find out which vehicles can be towed behind a motorhome a good place to start is the Dinghy Towing Guides here:
https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

But before making a decision on purchasing a vehicle, find the owners manual and verify the manufacturer has made provisions and provided a procedure to tow the vehicle on a dolly or 4 down behind a motorhome, commonly called "Recreational Towing".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.