Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
There seem to be variations on how the radio is powered from experiences we've related on here..
There are 2 power leads into the radio... One intended to be continuous to maintain memory functions - and one intended to be on with accessory to power radio itself.
On some units - the continuous power comes from chassis, and the accessory power comes from coach.
On my 2014 Hurricane - appears all power comes from the coach - as no setting are retained when the coach is in STORE mode - and no issue with chassis battery drain.
On my 2000 Infinity - all radio power came from the chassis battery (that unit also had a chassis disconnect switch). The radio didn't work at all unless chassis power was on and key in accessory position.

To me, I'd rather have it all come from the coach as in my Hurricane - no issues of draining chassis battery, and radio works when camping without key. Of course have to have the coach battery in USE to have the rear/side cameras work.

Not difficult to change connections to draw power where you want it to come from...
The only problem with all power coming from the coach is that you have to reset the clock and any other settings every time you use the "store" switch. Keeping the settings with the chassis battery fixes that and in a normal car operation the battery drain is small and you never notice it. The problem comes with long term storage. Then the small battery drain over time drains the chassis battery. The fix for that is either to disconnect the chassis battery for long term storage or (as I do) install a small solar panel to the chassis battery to counteract the battery drain.
I still think that for safety purposes there ought to be a switch that is hooked up to the turn signal and reverse gear that turns on the radio (either thru the chassis or coach battery) when the rocker switch is in the "store" position. That way you would have the backup and side cameras even if you forgot to engage the coach batteries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum