Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #10
CTRvs666

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
OK, a quick tutorial:

This is a new Magnitude MH as you said. I think Thor installs a 100 watt panel and a Zamp PWM solar controller on all new MHs. I think it is good for 30 amps but check.

A PWM solar controller takes output from the solar panel can pulses it (the P in pulse width modulated) to make the voltage compatible with what the battery needs. But the pulsing wastes a bit of the power. MPPT controllers (maximum power point tracking) convert the incoming voltage to what the battery needs without wasting any. They can even convert higher voltages like are produced when two panels are connected in series to match what the battery needs with little waste.

So check the specs on your controller which is almost certainly a PWM. If it is good for 15+ amps then wire your panels in parallel- pluses to pluses, negatives to negatives.

David
My goal is to install two additional batteries. Everything works well as-is, except in the winter when the heater is working overtime. The fan runs out of power for the fan motor by 4 AM, then the generator has to kick on. I can't seem to get the AGS working like it should. I think I don't know how to set it up. But extra power would be helpful. It looks like the existing controller should handle the extra panel.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum