Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: New tires
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I see you have a 23H (about 24' long). Do you have dual tires at the rear? If so, a regular LT tire with load range E would probably work fine. However, a C type (commercial) tire can give more peace of mind, especially if you drive a lot of miles. I have a 31E (32' long), so mine is a lot bigger and heavier, and the rear tires are near their load limit. I have had 2 rear tire blowouts with tires that were only a couple of years old. I plan to replace my rear tires with C type tires even though the tires I have are nearly new. We are planning to do a 4-week trip around the country next summer, and I don't want to risk another blowout. I'm not as worried about the front tires since my RV isn't that heavy at the front.

An LT225/75-16 tire 115/112 E range has a load rating of 2,680 lbs.
A 225/75-16C 121/120 tire has a load rating of 3,195 lbs (3,085 dual). So for the 4 rear tires this gives about an extra 2000 lbs of margin.

The question then is which C type tire to get?
The least expensive seems to be the Nexen Roadian CT8 at around $130 per tire.
Other options I've found:
Firestone Transforce CV $140

Goodyear Wrangle Fortitude HT C-type $241

Continental VanContact A/S $230
General Grabber $200
Michelin XPS rib?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.