Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #1773
roadrunner255

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
It's my understanding that the switch should be in the "On" (Use) position for any charging including from the alternator. (I reread the documents and it's not completely clear - but seems to indicate it.)
Our rig is parked in our yard - so if we're not travelling, it's plugged into shore power. I very seldom turn that Use/Store switch off. It charges from the AC when parked and charges great while driving from the alternator.
If your batteries are charging with the switch in the off position, something does not seem right. It also does not seem right that your fridge is running on 12V with that switch in the off position.
Maybe do a few more "tests" with a volt meter? Engine running, switch off; Engine running, switch on; Engine off, switch off; Engine off, switch on; Shore power (or generator) on, switch on and then off.
According to the TMC Electrical system guide

Chassis Alternator
The motorhome’s electrical system is wired so that when the vehicle's engine is running, and the chassis alternator is engaged, charging voltage is supplied to both the chassis and house battery(ies). The house main battery switch must be ON in order for the house battery to be charged by the chassis alternator (see Chassis Alternator and Battery Isolation Manager Sections).!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum