Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #28
tuchmybuttercups

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #21624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
"1. This news to me that specific battery types can't be used with specific systems. "Electricity, when I thought I was getting to know you, you throw me another curve ball". I plan to replace the charge controller, inverter, I guess now converter, and whatever else is needed to survive off a LiFePO4 bank.
2. My first preference is LiFePO4 batteries, last is flooded. Low weight and low maintenance.
4. I will need 400-600W of power coming in. There looked to be room on the roof when I saw the vehicle, I plan to go with 200W panels. Do I need to drill into the aluminum frame? It's a TPO roof so I was thinking I'd secure to the wood surface the TPO adheres to...
5. That sounds like a lot. I can't imagine a 100W panel can replenish all that."

#1. The difference has to do with the charging rate curves and float levels required for the LiPo4 and flooded/sealed batteries.
#4. If you use rigid panels, I absolutely recommend drilling into the frame. The wood layer under your TPO roof is about 1/8 in. thick and is not capable of holding against much force. A month ago, on the KS turnpike, we encountered 55-60mph cross winds over a 40 mile stretch. The speed limit was 75mph but I was driving 50-55mph to be able to keep it on the highway. [I'll let someone else figure out the vector forces involved.] I really don't know if the solar panel could have survived that wind force if I had only drilled into the wood. At best, I would guess that there would have been enough roof flex to potentially create a leak. At worst, I can't even imagine how much damage a 30" x 48" aluminum framed panel flopping around on the roof in those winds might have caused.
#5. I started with very a full charge on the batteries after driving for four hours. I had plenty of juice left to start my generator about 7:30AM.the next morning, and soon after continued my trip. If I were stationary for multiple days without running the generator or truck motor, I'm not sure just how long the batteries could be sustained.
JC
JC

Good info. Thanks for your response.
I do plan to use rigid panels.
One last question - how did fasten to the C-frame? Screw? Bolt with nut?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum