Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #30
tuchmybuttercups

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #21624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo View Post
Buttercup - we have the Thor 23U (Four Winds) which is similar in size to yours, and there were 2 lead acid batteries under the stairs which I hated because maintenance was difficult, so:

1. We upgraded and moved 2 Lithium BB batteries inside underneath the sofa section adjacent to the fridge (removing a seat belt and metal support) which eliminated issues with the elements and charging below 32 degrees, plus filled the now empty stairs underneath with insulation board to reduce air leakage. Later added a 3rd battery for 300 amp hours.

2. We bolted 4x - 170 watt solar panels with brackets to the TPO roof using wellnuts 8 per panel using threaded stainless steel 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/16 bolts, eternabond tape, and Dicor. I was concerned about the thin wood and foam in the roof but its worked like a charm the rubber wellnuts seals the entry point - apply dicor into the wellnut and on the bolt to complete the seal before securing the panels. The eternabond tape is adhered over the bracket then screw in the bolts......once the bolts are tight {DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN} Apply dicor liberally covering bracket and bolts.

See Solar Mounting kit PDF at batterystuff.com for a visual or print for wellnut image and info.

3. All we do is boondock, no RV parks so our 30 amp plug is rarely used....I hope this helps.

We use our TV, and laptops liberally, removed the microwave, installed LED interior lights, use a electric blanket,oil-filled radiator, electric skillet, and have plenty of amp hours. Propane is used for the fridge/freezer, heating water for showers, cooking and back up heat.

4. We are always concerned about wind - similar to JC we drive 50-55 mph, however we avoid the 65-75 MPH interstates whenever possible even before installing the panels...there are areas of Wyoming, eastern Montana, and gorge in Oregon that can be extremely dangerous - I've seen many a semi on its side on dry highways.

Best Wishes in your Travels.

Gulo

2013 Four Winds 23U
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid

Trimetric 2030 Battery Monitor
Trimetric SC 2030 Charge Controller

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Do you know how thick the wood roof is?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum