Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #36
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPM1979 View Post
Hi Breeze, I have a 31L as well. Having read all of the options why are you not looking to mount the new inverter under the bed. All of the wiring you need to modify is already there. Shore power, generator, power convertor and battery cables? Should be easy to disconnect the original wires from the existing convertor and "insert" the new inverter. The battery cables run mostly exposed under the frame from the bed area to the batteries under the entrance steps. You may need to increase their depending on the inverters amp requirements. As for the future solar, use the spot above the water tank for all of the solar breakers, shunts and charge controller. This will give you a short wire run from the charge controller to the batteries. If you have a remote monitor for the charge controller and\or the inverter, they would be easy to mount to the side of the cabinets when you come in the door for accessibility
Hi MP,
The reason I'm shying away from under the bed is two-fold. First and most important is everything I've read cites to mount the inverter as close as possible to the batteries. If you consider this upgrade, please read as much as you can tolerably get your hands on. That's what lead me to using the space. A leaky water pump filter helped me discover the void. Having the 31L yourself, you know I can't get any get any closer than that.

I think Thor designed what you know/see out of sheer convenience and not much else. Also, it's simply a converter/charger so they didn't worry very much about amp drop along that run. Last and least important is noise.

The 120 runs will incur much less amp drop along that run. I read that somewhere and Cavie backed it up (he's a spark chaser by trade).

The solar components will get mounted where you suggest, on the same board for the inverter. I might have done a poor job pointing that out in response to Chance's question. The monitor is going exactly where you suggest, unless I find a run up top to the existing control panel. So far, nothing. The tank level lights are worthless, except for the grey, and the panel is plastic so take it from there

You have the 31L. If you consider doing this and go back a few posts, I believe I included plans for everything. The only thing that's changed is the height of the slides used to hold the 'control board'. A cabinet maker I met walked through what he believed I should do after seeing the space, plans and inverter manufacturer air circulation requirements. I had to admit it logical to do what he suggested - not to mention his AOE.

There's a lot that went into the wheretos and howfors which is why there are multiple posts in this thread. If I can help you with a similar upgrade, you know where to find me. Take care.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.