Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #24
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Roadrunner255 - my Thor Siesta RV is built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis, which uses a diesel engine. I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but I have not seen these 2 points mentioned in the thread:

#1 Mercedes says Bio Diesel should not exceed 5% - maybe it's 10% but no higher than that. They say using a higher Bio Diesel % does some damage (I don't remember what) and can void the warranty. The problem is, as others have said, the pumps will pump what they have, without specifics - so there is not a lot you can do about it. You may want to see what Ford says about this - but, when you are low on fuel, what are you going to do?

#2 I think this is true of all modern diesels: there is another fluid to worry about: DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid. (If this is basic info, stop reading any time.) DEF is not burned in the engine but it does a) get injected into the exhaust to reduce pollution and b) Mercedes says it is injected into other parts of the engine to clean, etc. Here's the kicker: my RV has NO GAUGE for how much DEF is in the DEF tank. MB says a full DEF tank will last 10k miles. I get a dashboard alert at about 15 or 25% left, and at about 5%, you cannot go above something like 5 or 10 mph. And filling it is fun because - a) no gauge, and b) no way to tell if it's full / getting full except overflow, or the sound the fluid makes as it nears the top... I always carry a gallon or two of DEF in the RV.

I do get 15 mpg on my Mercedes Sprinter-based RV.

Dan

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.