Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
swampgator352

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta (Sprinter)
State: Florida
THOR #21707
Question Advice for Additional 12v Panel Installation

Hi all, I am new to this forum, RV'ing, and electrical work--though I am hoping to learn more about all of these things! Please let me know if I have inadvertently overlooked any forum guidelines or conventions.

I am planning to add an additional 12v switch panel to my 2014 Siesta Sprinter's house battery bank to control a few relatively low powered components. I don't believe there are any empty fuse spots on the factory-installed fuse box and have read that it my be more advisable to put new components on their own circuits rather than tap into existing ones.

I was thinking it would be best to connect to the house batteries after the battery disconnect solenoid so that the Use/Store switch will disconnect this secondary switch panel as well. I am planning to use inline fuses for the components attached to this secondary switch panel in place of an additional fuse box.

I am seeking advice on the best/safest way to bring 12v power into this secondary switch panel. I have found (what I believe is called) a manual circuit breaker between the solenoid and the original fuse box. Can I just wire the secondary switch panel to that intersection as well? And if so, what gauge wire should I use to do so? The switch box came pre-wired, but uses relatively thin gauge wire for the positive and neutral leads going into the system.

I am planning to run only relatively low-draw components from this switch box, such as 2 outdoor LED light strips (each controller says a maximum of 10 amps), 2 usb chargers, and maybe a few other small accessories that I will dream up in the future.

Is it worth trying to connect to power after the disconnect solenoid or should I just wire directly to the battery and leave one of the switches as a disconnect for the panel?

Thanks for bearing with such a long post and I look forward to your advice!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum