Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 11:21 PM   #22
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Hey there,

This is Quantum.

The last note was a alternator vs the generator while driving?? New and confused still on the battery use and now on the recharge while driving.

I pretty good with most everything not electrical related. So I ask a lot of questions to try to learn more. But now I'm
What Ted said was "It depends." For the converter output, the voltage is only 14.2 volts during the absorptive stage. Most of the heavy charging (about 80%) is during the bulk phase where the converter is trying to force 50 amps or so into the battery and the voltage will vary from 13.6 to 14.1 volts. The temperature of the converter (or batteries if you have them so wired) determines the actual voltage profile to avoid boiling flooded batteries over.

As for the engine's alternator, its max output is dependent on: its max capability, the type of regulator, the rpm and temperature of the alternator. Alternators are usually rated at 6,000 rpm and 70 F degrees internal temperature. 6,000 alternator rpm is about 2,400 engine rpm, but the output is not linear, so it is capable of outputting 40 amps as low as 1,500 alternator rpm (engine idle in gear). Heat is always a problem. The alternator's regulator assumes the battery is at the same temperature as the alternator. Copper windings increase in resistance as they heat up. So, assuming 2,400 engine rpm 160 amp rated alternator and 120 degree, alternator the max output would be 81 amps
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.