Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
mjdougherty

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Power Control System - Shore Power Amp Setting

I store my Tuscany 45AT in a heated indoor storage facility. They provide us with plug in power, and each motorhome is supposed to draw no more than 15A over the circuit.

I always review the shore power settings after plugging in. The system defaults to 30A and I always adjust it to 15A. The instruction manual says the available settings are 50A, 30A and 20A, but I swear mine allows 15A as well.

The power is occasionally interrupted when something causes a breaker to trip (several motorhomes share each circuit breaker). When that happens my system setting goes back to 30A, which by itself may cause another tripped breaker because my charger can easily pull 20-30A trying to recover after the power outage.

My question for other members is: Can the amp setting default value be changed so that it will go back to 15A after power is restored, rather than 30A? I have not seen anything in the instruction manual about being able to do this.

A few days ago I visited our rig and discovered that the house batteries had run down to zero percent state of charge (S.O.C.). The end of my drop cord was no longer "glowing” so I knew that a breaker had tripped again. The house batteries are AGM style, no maintenance technology. I am not sure if they can tolerate that deep of a discharge repeatedly because of these power interruptions (it has happened to me more than once).

The storage facility says that they check the breaker boxes every day, to ensure that all customers are getting power to their motorhomes, but I'm not sure they are that diligent about it..

Another question: Does anyone manufacture a shore power monitoring system that would send a message via cellular phone whenever shore power voltage drops to zero?

That sure would be a great system to have. After being notified of a power loss I could call the storage facility and ask them to reset the breaker.

I look forward to your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Central Monitor Panel.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	27969  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum