Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Raymac371

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #3672
All the inverters that I've had installed (3 so far) seems to work fine until the generator starts up. After the generator starts up and charges batteries, works the AC, etc.. The generator shuts down and then 50% of the time the inverter no longer works. It does come up with an error code that is not a code listed in the manual but it just no longer powers the refrigerator or any ac powered devices. No breakers are tripped and all seems in order. When the motorhome is plugged into my home, 15 or 20 amp outdoor plug, every thing functions perfectly, and when I disconnect from my house the inverter has always been fine. So it is only ruining the inverter when the generator is used, and it does ruin the inverter when the generator does an "auto start" as well. I've even installed a different brand of inverter the last time and the exact same thing happens.
I don't know if it's a power surge when the generator is "starting" or just as it's coming online to supply power or if it is the charger coming online but only when under the power of the generator. Another thing to be aware of is that if I'm travelling a lot the inverter seems to be ok, it's only when I'm at a campsite with out power and I use the generator for the ac power. When I,m travelling I'm plugged in at campsites most of the time so I don't use the generator much unless we want to use the microwave while driving, if we do the batteries are fully charged and don't need a big charge when we start the generator so there's no surge or big blast of power at first start up....?
A friend of mine figures that the switch is bad and allowing a back feed when the genny is started. So I asked why not when I plug into land power? He says that the land power is pretty much a perfect match of volts and amps all the time but when a generator is use it is not as perfect for a slit second at the beginning and if the switch works properly it won't allow the "bad" mix of power (low voltage and high amps) to go anywhere but he figures the whole system is getting the bad stuff but the inverter is unable to handle it and it gets fried. Thoughts pls

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum