Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 10:23 PM   #33
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Will I need to change my charger/converter to charge LFP? Also, if I have LFP should I not leave it plugged in to my house if it’s below freezing?
Depends on the battery manufacturer, but most say to get the max charge in the battery you need 14.6 volts for the battery manager to equalize the cells according to Battle Born. Here are the quote from the Battle Born site:
Charging Voltages/Parameters:
  • Bulk/absorb: 14.2 – 14.6 V
  • Float: 13.6 V or lower
  • No equalization (or set it to 14.4 V)
  • No temperature compensation
  • Absorption time: is 30 minutes per battery (if it’s an option)

Any lithium battery has a battery management circuit to control the individual cells. This circuitry will prevent the batteries from being charged when any of the individual cells are below 32.2 degrees F.

The other problem is using the engine's alternator to charge the lithium battery. Lithium batteries have virtually no electrical resistance and if hooked directly to the alternator can cause the alternator to overheat and fail. It is recommended you install a DC to DC converter in the circuit to regulate the current going to the lithium battery.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.