Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #14
Terry and Jo

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Gary,

Do your research for fuel stops along I-70, particularly through Colorado. Back in mid 2018, the wife and I returned that way from Utah and headed back to Oklahoma. There weren't many places that looked easy to get into for our Ford F450 and 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel. The one place I thought would be good turned out to not be when multiple vehicles were in the fuel pumps and parking areas. I had to back out from the fuel pump back to the street to get out. That said, your rig is probably much shorter than my 55-foot combination.

As for sights to see, there is SO MUCH to see in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. We just spent 3 weeks out there (non-rv traveling) and was in all of Utah's Big Five parks and the Grand Canyon. With your time frame, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon may be closed due to weather. While we were out there this year, one could get to the North Rim but all the "facilities" were closed except the gift shop on certain days. (Port-a-potties were available.)

If you are into RV's, Jack Sizemore's RV dealership in Amarillo, Texas has an RV museum that is kind of neat. I think the previous mention of an RV park west of Amarillo (and near the Cadillac Ranch) is Oasis RV Park. Also, if you like natural beauty, check out Palo Duro Canyon State Park, which is South of Amarillo and east of the city of Canyon.

Not meant to brag on my photos or website, but at the link in my signature are over 48,000 photos taken mostly in western states. Pictures of the parks and the RV museum are there.

And, if you are planning on seeing Northern Arizona and Southern Utah, there is a neat little RV park in Kanab, UT called Hitch-n-Post RV park. There are others, but I don't know much about them. We worked at Hitch-n-Post for nine months in the 2017-2018 time frame. Kanab is 75 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, 75 miles from Bryce Canyon, roughly 40 miles from Zion National Park, and 75 miles from Page, Arizona and Lake Powell.

EDIT: On your way west on I-40, Arizona also has the Petrified Forest National Park, which includes the petrified forest and the Painted Desert. The north part of the park is primarily the Painted Desert and the south part is the Petrified Forest.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum