Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: The Iridium...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #70
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
There’s a lot of attitude and bickering on that forum.

I didn’t read all 20 pages, but in general my “opinion” is that we need an electric charging system that is universal, and not Tesla’s approach. Granted, from a business standpoint it has served Tesla extremely well, but unless we want EV choices to be limited to just a few manufacturers’, we need charging to be similar to gas stations — lots of them pretty much everywhere, and not brand specific.

It’s only my opinion since there’s no right or wrong, but I disagree with TFLT point of view about manufacturers like Ford building their own charging infrastructure. Short term it has worked great for Tesla, but much longer term I don’t see that approach being practical.

Having said that, it’s good Tesla have set the bar high.
Indeed there is a lot of bickering. What people that have nothing else to do for 14+ months while waiting for their cars to show up spend their time on ! LOL. (I find it especially amusing because they are bickering about hypotheticals since the vast majority of them have never driven an EV and have no frame of reference.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman
Chance,
Since Tesla's system seems to be the most-developed so far: do you think that it should become the universal standard for everyone to follow?
My thoughts: There is a universal standard: Its called J1772 and everyone (but Tesla) has adopted it. It existed before Tesla.

At the moment the DCFC (part of J1772 that does fast charging) network is being built out faster than Tesla's network (despite the problems in that video at one station). It will only be a few years before the non-Tesla network is larger than the Tesla network especially with all the EVs that are coming down the pike.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum