Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing a Pickup
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #27
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Some one already stated just because the hitch is rated for 8000 lbs doesn't mean you can tow 8000 lbs.
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 12,500 lbs for the 24.1 (and that includes all passengers, gas, water, propane, gear, clothing, food and beer!) The Gross Combined Weight Rating is 18,500 lbs. The GCWR number is the weight of the coach PLUS anything you tow. IF you are at max GVWR you can only LEGALLY tow an extra 6000 lbs. Will the coach tow more, answer is probably. Is it LEGAL answer is no.
I venture a guess most RV'rs are out there running overloaded. Hit the CAT scale at a Truck Stop and get a weight of the rig when your off for trip. You will be surprised. I have learned that I need to run with just enough water to flush the toilet while traveling, not to haul a face cord of firewood, buy the beer when I arrive and keep it to two pairs of underware and we can barely make legal weight

Amen to that! I learned my lesson on the last coach and put “at least 3000lb” OCCC on my “must have” list when I went shopping last time.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum