Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #15
Vibeman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So most of the the time I can cruise in our 29m at 65 - 70 mph with zero problems. I have a roadmaster stabilizer installed. However, sometimes when the wind is high, I can barely keep 60mph without it feeling like I will get blown off the road. Is this a problem for all coaches or is it just the f53 18000lb chassis? Reason I ask is I have had a few other coaches pass me in this crazy wind. Any tips and tricks that you can share?
We have a 2020 29m and my experience so far is very similar to yours. Oem suspension set up handled poorly but I am finding out there are many factors involved. GVW, load distribution, tire pressure, ambient wind speed, ambient wind direction, road surface is a big one too. I have added a rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer which both helped but were not a magic bullet. My first trip from MI to TX last year I loaded conservatively, total weight was 17,160#, 5920# on steer axle and 11240# on drive axle. This was before suspension mods and I thought it handled terribly in almost all road conditions. This year, after the mods, more short trips, and experimentation i am loaded to the maximum GVWR (18,000#) 6200# on steer axle and 11,800# on drive axle and I am now pleased with the handling. I can still feel cross winds, big ones can move me significantly, but nothing like before. All above stated factors combine in different ways with differing conditions. As previous posts have stated, the easiest thing to control and adjust is your speed, so I use that to get the most acceptable handling on almost a moment by moment basis. I think the additional weight helps significantly too. I can notice an improvement in handling just by filling my 40 gallon fresh water tank. I have not had individual wheel loads checked but I would like to if I get an opportunity.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum