Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #10
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshepard View Post
I think I figured out the situation. Because we are new to RV life I wasn't connecting the technical dots correctly.

We use a 50 Amp input with our coach, which is two 25 Amp legs. The Magnum MS2812 inverter's 30Amp Input breaker is PER LEG. I didn't realize that. Because it's winter, the wife and I are running our electric fireplace and a small floor heater to keep the coach warm and toasty. When we go to cook dinner and use the induction cook top AND the microwave while watching TV, it's TOO MUCH. The load crosses over the 30 Amp per leg limitation/protection and trips the breaker.

To answer your question, yes our coach comes with and EMS. For whatever reason though it's not shedding the load. I need to figure out how to properly set that up so this doesn't happen again. I'd rather lose/shed a TV instead of pop a breaker.

So it appears everything is working as designed (minus the EMS). The fact that it happens when I've got my hands full cooking was preventing me from seeing the issue clearly. Also I pull up the docs and can see that the 30 Amp input breaker is in-line with the power pole input power. When it trips I shouldn't get any power from shore, and it should all pull from batteries.

There are some other factors associated with upgrades I've done since we got the coach 5 months ago as well, which further confused me, but those are also understood now. So much to learn, but we're getting there. Live and learn.
If your coach is 50 amp it is per leg, 100 amps available from a typical 240v pedestal or outlet

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum