Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That could be the problem: The auto crossover switch isn't working correctly and allowing the inverter to run with the genny thereby destroying the inverter.
I agree something doesn't sound correct. If the inverter has a transfer switch and it's wired correctly, it should never be powering anything in parallel with the generator or with shore power.

The discussion about the quality of the power coming into inverter from generator versus shore power left me wondering why it's even an issue at all. The inverter should either be online by itself or bypassed (to a given circuit if split).

Granted there are many ways to wire-in an inverter. I know some are installed to supply power to only a few outlets (like residential fridge), but even then there should be no way to connect power in parallel with inverter.

This is a good example of why I like simplicity. An inverter/charger with its own transfer switch should prevent many of these types of issues. Obviously, many loads like air conditioning would have to be turned off -- manually or automatically -- to prevent overloading the inverter and or batteries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.