Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Raymac371

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #3672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I don't have an inverter (have a Vegas) and I am a bit ignorant about its operation but I have a question. Why operate the inverter when you are running the generator? Is there a converter (with a charging circuit to charge the house batteries) or does the inverter charge the batteries? I ask because if there is a converter to convert the AC provided by the generator to DC for system operation and charging the house batteries?

It seems counter intuitive to use an inverter to invert DC power into AC when the generator is operating and providing AC current.

Pardon my ignorance about inverters -- but inquisitive minds would like to know.
I have enough house battery power to run the refrigerator using the inverter all night long. This will keep the campsite quiet at night for all. Basically the inverter and a bank of batteries will take the place of a generator for hours at a time. When you need more power for air conditioning etc you then start the genny or when your batteries are getting low you then start up the genny to charge them. Also the motor that drives the motorhome will also charge the house batteries while under way and the inverter will continue to supply power for the refrigerator etc without the need of running the generator. I would not enjoy our camping as much if I didn't have a good set of batteries and an inverter to take the place of the generator as much as possible.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum