Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Question First: does anyone know of any reason I can't or shouldn't use a 12g extension cord in place of 14-2 Romex?

Why:
I'm getting ready to run wiring for an inverter project. According to Cavie, long runs of 120 are more efficient than long runs of 12v. Makes sense to me.

The RV is factory-wired with 14-2 Romex to the 120 outlets. I want to mount the inverter next to the entry steps (batteries) and make 120 AC/Out runs to the power panel in the bedroom.

I have a clean path along the passenger side wall all the way from the entry steps, where the inverter will be, to the bed support wall on the right. The factory wiring makes a hard right angle at that point to the foot of the bed where the power panel is. That's where I get stuck.

I'm trying to avoid diving down into the storage compartment if I can help it, keeping it all inside like the existing wiring. I'd have to drill upward from the compartment and unfortunately there are water lines in the existing run for low point drains. Definitely don't need that trouble.

I thought maybe a 12g extension cord would be easier to fish through that 90d turn. I thought of sneaking a snake along the bed support wall, following the existing wiring but it's so tight back there (up against the wall), I don't know that I can grab it from the outside. The second pic is the bed support wall and the 90 is made right after it passes through that hole.

I actually don't have the step-up into the bedroom shown in the floor plan.
Thor uses flexible wire in the slides for 120 Volts. They use 14-3 SOOW, 9 strand and is rated for 15 amps at 90 C. Romex is only used for rigid wiring. Solid wire is uses where ever possible because it is easier to hookup and does not require any termination. For your application SJOOW cable would be my recommendation.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum