Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
These are properly engineered. The other looks like something my grandfather would had made on the ranch. Sure it would work but in the back of your mind you are just waiting for your trailer to pass you going down the freeway.

That’s an interesting topic in itself. As an engineer myself, I can assure you that there’s a huge difference between “properly engineered” and “looks like it’s properly engineered”.

Making something look pretty and finished can hide defects and provides illusion of good design, but under great looks the engineering could be quite flawed. And the very opposite is also true. An item can look rough and a little crude, but the engineering itself can be good.

Regarding the OP picture cavie posted, the trailer seems relatively small, and if I recall correctly, they were not very heavy. The toughest part of engineering was done by pickup truck and hitch manufacturers, leaving the builder of that rig to mostly just add a proper tongue to a pickup bed he cut off. Granted, he had to add brakes, but we can’t see those details in picture, so can’t assume they are not done right.

The trailer/dolly should be more level, but that could be due more to user error than poor engineering. The tongue could have been designed right, yet driver used hitch with ball too high. Who knows, driver could have borrowed dolly to move old trailer to a hunting camp or some other one-time deal.

After traveling and camping in rented trailers a few times, I have no interest in owning a trailer, so I would never need one of those dollies. Having said that, the concept has a major drawback that would make me stick to normal towing if I owned a large 5er.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.