Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So here is my take based on personal experience over the past 10 months of dealing with the COVID world......

Having a motorhome was absolutely the best possible way to deal with COVID and still have a somewhat normal life. It was a "bubble" on wheels that allowed us to stay isloated but still live our lives a little.

My wife and I are in our late 50's. I travel for my job and work from home. I'm typically on over 100 planes a year. My wife is a dental assistant. By March 11 last year I was already on 33 planes and at a trade show in Atlanta when my company decided to lock down our travel. My wife's dental office was also closed at the same time.

A week later we packed up the motorhome and left for Willmington, NC for a week. We stayed at the KOA there. We figured there was plenty of space between sites so we would be away from people. We also said if we stayed how we would have to go to the grocery store so what would be the difference going to the grocery store anywhere?

We could ride our Spyder. We could be outdoors in fresh air and I could work from there. A week stay turned into 12 days. We would have stayed longer but the stupid county there decided to shut down campgrounds and everyone just moved to the next county.

We headed home for a few days and reloaded. We then headed to the KOA in Travelers Rest, SC for a week. What a beautiful campground! We rode the Spyder though the Carolina mountains and enjoyed beautiful weather in mid-April there. After a week there we decided to head further south to Savanna, GA for another week.

We then went back home and planned a trip to Virigia beach as the calendar headed into Memorial Day. My wife had surgery in June so we were dry docked for several weeks but then did two more shorter trips in PA in July and in August we spent a week in Vermont.

We spent late August and September at our home in FL and then did trips to Chincoteague, VA and to the Smoky Mountains in October before putting the coach to bed and enjoyng the FL weather for the winter (and doing some snowmobiling too).

I know a lot of people went into total lockdown the past 9 or 10 months and only went out for essentials. Rightly so if they had pre-esisting condiitons or were highly suseptible to complications if they caught COVID.

My wife has an autoimmune disease so she has some risks with COVID but we decided we wanted to try and live a semblance of a normal life the and the coach could enable us to do it in a safe manner. Life is too short as it is and letting a year or more of life go by in lockdown was also not a great thing.

We have been as careful as we reasonably could over the past 10 months. We wear masks in stores and other indoor places. We only eat at outdoor restuarants. We try to keep our distance from people as much as possible. We wash and sanitiize our hands constantly.

For us, the coach was a godsend. It let us travel and see parts of the country during the pandemic. We could be outdoors where it is much safer and still live life a little. Some things we wanted to see along the way were closed at times but it was well worth the adventure and it help keep our sanity..... and our health.

Looking at the glass half-full..... COVID allowed us to do more camping / traveling in one year than we ever could have still working full-time.

My wife is now retired after her and the dentist decided it was time to close the practice (he is 66). I was going to hang it up at the end of last year but since I'm still not traveling because of COVID, I have decided to keep working through July (unless things start going back to normal before then).

We have a long trip out west planned from mid-August to early October this year. We already have most of the campgrounds booked. We will probably head north in May and do a couple of camping trips before then as well....just not sure where to as of yet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum