Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thanks for the answers. When I started up the generator, I heard the ATS click in and I had 120v power in the coach. When I hooked up shore power before I turned on the generator, I did not have 120v power in the coach. However, when I just hooked up shore power again to check, I now have 120v power and shore power is charging the house batteries. It may be that the ATS did not switch to shore power the first time and turning on the generator somehow unstuck the ATS. Whatever, that problem seems to have solved itself.
The other issue of the alternator not charging the house batteries is almost certainly an issue with the battery isolation system. These Class B’s do not use a BIM or BIRD system, but just have a battery manager hooked to a solenoid which only operates one way - alternator to house battery. Shore power/generator does not charge the chassis battery. Winnebago also uses three circuit breakers between the battery manager and the two batteries and voltage wire. I have not liked this system - it has five points of failure as well as working only one way. So I have purchased a BIM 225 that will replace all five components and charge both the chassis and house batteries on alternator, shore power or generator. I hope it solves my problem - now that I am back down to one.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum