Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 02:28 AM   #20
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nicholson View Post
These are all my personal experiences and reasons for Fibreglass vs. TPO roofs.

I will never have TPO again. They are prone to break down, zero minimize in sound reduction, will need to be repaired or replacing in 15-20 years no matter how well you maintain TPO roofs, side caps are TPO and prone to breakdown. Difficult to keep the roof and side caps clean. TPO will mildew on side caps if not maintained. If the TPO roof needs to be replaced for any reason air-cons, antennas, roof vents, sats etc all have to be removed. And lastly, if you happen to go under a low hanging branch it will easily rip the TPO material....warranty voided and water leaks. Your out of pocket expense can add up quickly.

I have had Fibreglass roofs on 3 DRV's and 3 Newmar fifth wheels. My reasons for Fiberglass are:

They never break down, exterior noise is dramatically minimized like heavy rain, acorns and dates dropping on the roof, very durable, very easy to keep clean, side caps are fibreglass as well, the material never breaks down, will never mildew, never replace, and lastly, if you go under a long hanging branch you will not have any damage to your roof or upper side caps and rails, only 2 seal joints to easily maintain (front and rear), fibreglass roofs are one piece.

Yes, they cost more money, and yes they are slightly heavier but they also add retail value when you go to sell/trade. Benefits out the way TPO....trust me.

Whereas the fiberglass roof on my 2017 Winnebago had a growing stress crack at the shower skylight and was already “chalking” and deteriorating when we traded it after 14 months. I’ll opt for TPO every time. Guess that’s why there are so many options available on the market!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.