Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #7
quantum

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What year/make/model coach? When you say "cable button" are you talking about on some multi-input/multi-output box or are you talking about the power button for the OTA antenna?

There are basically three different cable systems you may encounter in an RV park:

Ancient (analog): Was the original CATV standard and had cable numbers just like OTA TV at the time - 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Uses an analog signal. Almost all TVs have the tuner for this CATV.

Digital - The highlight of CATV: uses a digital tuner (QAM Tuner for cable) and tunes in multiple sub-channels with unencrypted signals - 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, etc. Most modern TVs have a QAM tuner and can receive these channels. Some models of Thor provided TVs such as Seiki and Axerra may not include the QAM tuner and can not tune in digital CATV.

Encrypted Digital - The CATV Gotcha: Tired of CATV theft the industry is moving to this format which requires an external tuner or a tuner card from the CATV company that can be inserted in your TV if so equipped. If you have a major cable provider at home you probably have this. If this is the standard the RV park uses you will be required to borrow a tuner box from the office which will tune the channels for you are output the signal either via HDMI (preferred) or old analog channel 3/4 to your TV's cable input.

I have a 2016 Thor WS31 Quantum and the SEIKI TV's. Al I have is a cable that is direct wired to each tv there is a single Cable jack and it has the button to turn on the green light. I believe this button switches between the roof antenna and the cable connection. Then I have a IOGEAR box that will send the DVD wirelessly to the main TV. This one I never use and have no idea how it works...LOL

It worked just fine at the last campground and without a cable digital converter. The guys here measured the signal outside and it was fine however never mentioned if the signals we digital vs analog signal.

Did get the firestick and have a Roku if needed, Just want to make it simple and not depend on the internet.

Lomg story

Thanks for the feedback.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum