Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #34
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetreak View Post
The manufacturer may not know everything there is to know about mounting solar panels on the roofs of their motorhomes, but they probably understand the risks of leaks, unhappy customers, and lawsuits.

What does Thor do when they mount panels on their rigs?

I know the 2021 Gemini/Compass are equipped with a 100-watt panel from the factory. I *think* its a rigid, aluminum framed, garden variety solar panel, and someone in Engineering or Product design made a decision of how to mount it. What did they decide, does anyone know?

I've asked the factory and they said they cannot advise me, to ask the dealer.

Has anyone else asked?
RV manufacturers use screws in the roof for nearly everything + Dicor (or similar sealant)
My Vegas has sheet metal under the thermo-plastic roof liner (then plywood).
So there is enough “bite” to hold the screw.

I chose to use drill-less mounts without the screws. That way if I decide to move
the panels or increase the size of the panels at a later date there are no holes left behind.
But flex panels with Eternabond tape are a good option too. They just don’t last as long and have no air-space for cooling.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum