Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker
Think I found the answer to my question. The 50 amp plug has 110 VAC/25 amp on each of its "hot" legs. When using the adapter it only draws from one leg -- 110 VAC/25 amp. So it is using 25 amps rather than 30 amps. Guess you'd have to watch your total load since your are drawing 5 amps less than a normal 30 amp service.
Right: The 50amp plug has 4 connections: The two "hot" legs, a neutral, and ground. The two "hot" legs are 180 degrees out of phase of each other so that the voltage between them will be 240V. The neutral line is just that and is always 120V from either "hot" leg. Thus the 30A adapter just uses one "hot" leg and the neutral line.

Here is a good diagram of it (Phase 1 and Phase 2 are the two "hot" legs):

(From a much longer discussion about it on RV.Net here: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm)

Even in campers, though, the 50A service is really split into two 120V systems (one system for the camper + one A/C unit, and the other system is the other A/C unit).

The only things that I know of that really use the 240V in total are:
  • Electric dryers
  • Electric ranges
  • Electric Vehicles (yeah first hand experience on this one)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.