Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 02:44 AM   #1
mcorner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21850
Slide Trouble, Need Service in the SouthWest

tldr: My slide is misbehaving badly and I am looking for a good shop somewhere in the SW, maybe Tuscon or Phoenix.

Long story:

I got a used 2016 ACE 30.2 (this has the bunks and a full wall slide). We have been mostly full-time in it since last November.

The slide never sounded that great, but I figured that was how slides might sound. First RV. The controller also would flash 9 times sometimes, which is a hall sensor short to ground, but it always worked.

Last week we had trouble getting it out. It would go a few inches and then stop. It looked like it was struggling in the bottom front. I put my feet on it and heavily assisted it into starting. We didn't have any trouble getting it back in. We were in an RV park and very level on the jacks. I saw a few loose screws on the tracks and put them back in. I tried "retiming" it according to the instructions.

Next time we weren't nearly as level and couldn't get it out again, I put my feet on it and it went out after an initial push.

Then...when we tried to put it back in, it only went a few inches and stopped. It was flashing 6 times on motor 2, which is a short in the motor. It wouldn't move at all. Unfortunately we are in Big Bend Ranch State Park TX where there is no cell service, no RV shops, etc. etc. (beautiful though!) Kinda freaked out and tried a bunch of things. We tried the electronic override, pushing on it, disconnecting the motors and pushing, etc. We took all of the weight off the slide (food under the benches, clothes in the closet etc). We releveled the coach a few times and eventually it went right in. (phew, that would have been a huge, huge problem). (For the record, pushing the slide in manually is a bit of a joke, this thing is massive).

One of the rubber/metal wheels under the front track doesn't look that great, perhaps a bit smashed? Perhaps we had too much weight on it? No obvious wiring problems, but it runs under the floor somewhere and I can't see all of it. But the wiring isn't pinched by the motors. The motors must be working since the slide does work sometimes. The tracks don't look chewed up and I can't find any obvious obstructions.

So...this is a little beyond me. We are stuck in turtle mode and want to find a good shop somewhere in the SW to look at it. We are flexible on location. The priority is someone who isn't going to sit on it for 6 weeks and we have to rent AirBnB etc. It seems like the parts have pretty good availability online at least.

I am thinking Tucson or Phoenix. I would rather be in AZ than TX. I went to a good shop in ABQ, but even he said you can get better service in AZ. Any suggestions? (I have heard nothing but great things about Camping World hahaha....).

Thanks!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.